Sunday 27 June 2010

In My Mailbox 11

Dear Blog,
IMM returns as ever, hosted by Kristi of The Story Siren.
I didn't get much this week, mainly because even though he really isn't that old, my father nearly had a heart attack when he was looking over my shoulder while I was sorting out my Goodreads page.  He must have seen my To-read shelf because he said, "SEVENTY FOUR?"  And he didn't really believe me when I said, "no! no!  Most of those I don't actually own.  Only about 20 of them are on my bookcase."  That's because it's a lie.  About 45 of them are on my shelf. This made me realise I have serious issues and really ought to get through lots of them before I buy/borrow any more.

BOUGHT
The Sky is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson. 
Summary (from Goodreads): Seventeen-year-old Lennie Walker, bookworm and band geek, plays second clarinet and spends her time tucked safely and happily in the shadow of her fiery older sister, Bailey. But when Bailey

dies abruptly, Lennie is catapulted to center stage of her own life—and, despite her nonexistent history with boys, suddenly finds herself struggling to balance two. Toby was Bailey’s boyfriend; his grief mirrors Lennie’s own. Joe is the new boy in town, a transplant from Paris whose nearly magical grin is matched only by his musical talent. For Lennie, they’re the sun and the moon; one boy takes her out of her sorrow, the other comforts her in it. But just like their celestial counterparts, they can’t collide without the whole wide world exploding.



Forbidden by Tabitha Suzuma
Summary (from Goodreads): Sixteen-year-old Maya and seventeen-year-old Lochan have never had the chance to be 'normal' teenagers. Having pulled together for years to take care of their younger siblings while their wayward, drunken mother leaves them to fend alone, they have become much more than brother and sister. And now, they have fallen in love. But this is a love that can never be allowed, a love that will have devastating consequences ...How can something so wrong feel so right?
 
 
              
 
                                              BORROWED       
 
 
Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick
Summary (from Goodreads): For Nora Grey, romance was not part of the plan. She's never been particularly attracted to the boys at her school, no matter how much her best friend, Vee, pushes them at her. Not until Patch came along. With his easy smile and eyes that seem to see inside her, Nora is drawn to him against her better judgment.

But after a series of terrifying encounters, Nora's not sure who to trust. Patch seems to be everywhere she is, and to know more about her than her closest friends. She can't decide whether she should fall into his arms or run and hide. And when she tries to seek some answers, she finds herself near a truth that is way more unsettling than anything Patch makes her feel.
For Nora is right in the middle of an ancient battle between the immortal and those that have fallen - and, when it comes to choosing sides, the wrong choice will cost her life.

Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins (review coming soon)
Summary (guess where from?  Yes, Goodreads): Three years ago, Sophie Mercer discovered that she was a witch. It's gotten her into a few scrapes. Her non-gifted mother has been as supportive as possible, consulting Sophie's estranged father--an elusive European warlock--only when necessary. But when Sophie attracts too much human attention for a prom-night spell gone horribly wrong, it's her dad who decides her punishment: exile to Hex Hall, an isolated reform school for wayward Prodigium, a.k.a. witches, faeries, and shapeshifters.

By the end of her first day among fellow freak-teens, Sophie has quite a scorecard: three powerful enemies who look like supermodels, a futile crush on a gorgeous warlock, a creepy tagalong ghost, and a new roommate who happens to be the most hated person and only vampire on campus. Worse, Sophie soon learns that a mysterious predator has been attacking students, and her only friend is the number-one suspect.
As a series of blood-curdling mysteries starts to converge, Sophie prepares for the biggest threat of all: an ancient secret society determined to destroy all Prodigium, especially her.


 
So, yay!  I've wanted them all for ages. I know that review copies for Forbidden went out a few weeks ago but, well, I'm too nervous to contact any publishers as yet.  What exactly do you say?  How many readers do you need?  How long to you need to have been blogging for?  Somebody please tell me it's not as daunting as it looks!
 
So, well, that was my literary week.  What about yours? 

7 comments:

  1. I just love that cover for THE SKY IS EVERYWHERE. I think I have it on hold at my library, but I haven't read it yet. I hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really want to read The Sky is Everywhere and Hex Hall. I have Hush Hush waiting in my shelf to be read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good selection this week: I am excited for Forbidden, and really enjoyed Hex hall and hush, hush. Happy Reading! Here is my IMMB if you want a peek: Blkosiner Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've had Hex Hall and Hush Hush for ages (nice alliteration btw) but haven't read them yet. I hope you enjoy the books you received this week. Happy reading! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've heard nothing but good things about Hex Hall and The Sky Is Everywhere! They both look good.

    As far as followers and requesting books go, I still get nervous requesting books and I have almost 600 followers. I say go for it, the worst they can say is no. But I would just continue reading books you own and get from the library and review them. Build an audience first. Also, look into Netgalley and Librarything Early Reviewers program.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You got a bunch of awesome books this week! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hush Hush is a amazing book. And Hex Hall is great. Hope you enjoy,Happy Reading XD

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment if you like. Don't be shy- I don't bite.