Friday 31 December 2010

Top Ten novels of 2010.

Dear blog,
Seeing as every other blog seems to be making such lists at the moment, I feel like I'd better make one too. Besides, it would be a good way to round up some of my favourite books that have been released this year.
Note: These are all UK release dates

FORBIDDEN by Tabitha Suzuma
Is a book that I haven't stopped thinking about ever since I read it.  Nothing I could say could do it any justice, so, in three words: Heartbreaking, thought-provoking, devastating.

BEFORE I FALL by Lauren Oliver
Has been one of the most  highly-praised debuts so it seems, at least that's the impression that the rest of the blogosphere gives. And it was certainly no disappointment.  Lauren Oliver's ability to make a single day and the simple rhythm of everyday life seem like the truly extraordinary thing that we all forget it is.   In three words:  thought-provoking, unique, and heartbreaking.


THREE RIVERS RISING by Jame Richards
Another book that I could sing the praises of for a very long time.  Historical fiction. Verse novel. Multiple narrative.  What else do I need in a book? (Clue: nothing)  I shall stalk Jame Richards eagerly for any other novels she may write.   In three words: poetic, heart-wrenching, fascinating.



DIRTY LITTLE SECRETS by C. J Omololu
Probably one of my favourite debuts of the year (of the ones I've read that is. By the end of this month I'd bought probably enough debuts to finish the 2010 Debut Author Challenge, but didn't have enough time to read them).  Anyway, I've mentioned this in several lists over the past few days, and with reason. So rarely is a disorder like compulsive hoarding touched upon in YA fiction. In three words, it's: Shocking, unique, powerful.



HEX HALL by Rachel Hawkins
Imagine that Harry Potter and Fallen have a baby. Insert a more likeable protagonist, a lot of hilarious one-liners and get rid of the Boy Who Lived and a love triangle, and you have one heck of a book.  The title?  Hex Hall. Despite all the numerous influences from other contemporary novels, it was a breath of fresh air amongst other paranormal boarding school novels. In three words: Clever, Refreshing, Humorous. 

THE CARBON DIARIES: 2017 by Saci Lloyd
The sequel to The Carbon Diaries 2015. It didn't seem quite as direct as its predecessor in the effects of global warming, so much as the long-term effects and the way that nations and governments run themselves in such a nightmarish turn of events.  It lacked a certain something that 2015 had, but however it did have a road-trip across a Europe in crisis.  In three words: chilling, alarming, needed.



MONSTERS OF MEN by Patrick Ness
Chaos Walking finale.  I needn't say more, but I will, because it totally blew me away.  It made me laugh, it made me cry, it made me want to throw it at the wall and scream "No, that can't happen!" and it made me want to buy a copy for all my friends.   And the ending.  Whooooah, is all I'll say. I haven't read such a satisfying finale to a trilogy in a very long time.    In three words: Heart wrenching, heartbreaking, heartwarming.

LIES by Michael Grant
Mysteriously I haven't actually reviewed this, but I really should at some point.  Well, I read it a couple of months ago, and it's as surreal, unique and nightmarish as the front cover (Drake!).  In three words: Frightening, thrilling, action-packed.

THE SKY IS EVERYWHERE by Jandy Nelson
I read this only about a week or so ago (Again I need to review this one, but I haven't had time).  It was so heartbreakingly touching, I have to include it. Now and again I found myself wondering if it brought anything new to the table, but I fell in love with it anyway, and I think that it did. Especially all the music and the little notes and poems scattered about at the beginning and endings of the chapters, like little tiny portraits of Lennie's life. In three words: touching, romantic, worthy (of all the hype) (okay, that's seven words...but anyway)


BOYS DON'T CRY by Malorie Blackman
I really, really have to review this at some point, because it's fantastic. Malorie Blackman is to my mind one of the best contemporary British authors, and Boys Don't Cry never fails to disappoint.  There's never enough fiction with male protagonists, never enough about teenage parenthood.  (Especially not from the father's point of view.  In three words: real, satisfying, truthful.

Well, that's all from me for 2010. Has it been a good year for YA lit? I think so.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment if you like. Don't be shy- I don't bite.